2020-02-06 Communications Committee Meeting


All Members List
(present or not present)
Members Present
Non-Members Present

Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)

Nick Reichel (Deactivated)

Ally Yanco (Deactivated)

Jessica Trites Rolle

Charlotte Schuricht

Mary Enriquez

Nikki Marshall

(*Voting companies/** alternates)

Time1:00 CT
Web (Screen Sharing)


Audio (VOIP/Phone)United States: +1 (646) 749-3129
Access Code983-943-229




Topic / Leader

Desired Outcome

Pre-Meeting Notes and Links to Supporting Resources

Meeting Minutes


Welcome & Roll Call / Susan Ruland

1:03pm Central

Attendees are listed above.

Susan Ruland (Unlicensed) is the acting chair. If you are interested in becoming the chair or co-chair, please speak up or feel free to contact Susan anytime.



Everybody agrees to the Antitrust Guidelines.

AgGateway Antitrust Guidelines

All Agreed

Minutes Taker / 

Approval of Prior Meeting Minutes / Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)

Minutes from November: 2019-11-06 Communications Committee Meeting

Charlotte moved to approve, seconded by Nick, all in favor.

Welcome discussion

Introduce any new attendees


Review Action Items  Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)

Action Items to be reviewed:

  • All on Social Media Task Force to review calendar for their assigned weeks 
  • Short list of Case Studies Susan is currently trying to get underway:

    • BASF
    • Mosaic
    • Syngenta
    • Corteva
  • Susan reminded everyone to check the Social Media calendar and note when our individual weeks are.
  • Susan reviewed the list of companies she is working with on new case studies.

AgGateway 2020/ Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)
  • Website up 
  • Setting up Portfolio Management Center (PMC), Digital Resource Center (DRC), Steering Committees
  • Staff 

  • Refreshed 2020 website; Susan reviewed some of the changes and where to find some of the new stuff. Navigation tabs and links under tabs have changed.
  • Susan asked for questions/comments. Jessica likes the breakout of EU and LATAM pages. Susan commented on how both regional directors are having trouble getting people started - lots of ideas but not going on work.
  • Dan Berne on board as Portfolio Manager; he is working closely with Jim and Brent to get PMC up (portfolio management center). It's a way to know what's going on with various working groups and the status. DRC is digital resource center (standards & guidelines on steroids) being put together as well.
  • Susan showed where the steering committee information can be found. 
  • Reviewed other staff new hires: Eric Hinsdale as content manager and Kimberly Chauche as admin assistant. Will bring a couple other positions on board (technical writer and digital ag education) at some point this year or next. New Director of Member Relations is hired, cannot announce the name yet.
Marketing Plan / Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)
  • Review 2020 Communications Plan
  • Review Precision Ag Communications Subcommittee

Action: Susan Ruland (Unlicensed) will upload slide deck.

Susan reviewed this year's communication/marketing plan.

Objective: Communicate Successes and Value of Membership.

Some tactics: decided to have a formal strategy to lay out for speakers to have information and to pursue new speaker opportunities. Need to establish global communication/branding.

Priorities: communicating to membership/industry the new features of AgGateway (PMC, DRC, etc), associated opportunities to be involved (how, etc), activities of working groups in ways that are meaningful in industry-wide and corporate perspective. Idea that sometimes our projects and activities can get into the weeds if you're not a technical person - this is a reminder that we tie in the activities with corporate perspective/goals (traceability, production efficiency, sustainability). Also, communicating that AgGateway is a focal point in the transition to Digital Ag.

2020 Theme is Driving Digital Solutions.

Send trade show info to Chris since he is putting together a full calendar with all of that in one place.

Social Media Calendar 
  • Discuss Instagram, WhatsApp - does Hootsuite support?
  • YouTube Channel 

Does Hootsuite support Instagram? Loyola uses WhatsApp and Instagram in LATAM.

Action: Susan Ruland (Unlicensed) check to see what it will take to sign up for Instagram.

Action: Nikki Marshall see if the social media cheat sheet here is the same as the one she has.


Newsletter Planning - 

December Issue

Newsletter Articles - March Issue

Due 20 February 


  1. MYM - Sponsorships 
  2. New Member Article: Evin Ellis (Unlicensed)Ally Yanco (Deactivated)
  3. Column from Loyola, Conny - Europe, Latin America
  4. Promote new member orientation webinar? Nikki Marshall
  5. Product Catalog (webinar Feb. 19)
  6. AGIIS/Member Services: Chris CrutchfieldJosh Wall (Unlicensed)l
  7. AgGateway in the News: Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)

Newsletter planning - Future issues

Newsletter Articles - April Issue

Due March 19, 2020


  1. Working Groups
  2. Mid=Year Meeting: Nikki Marshall
  3. Any Working Group updates? (traceability, mix ticket, soil, product catalog) Nick Reichel (Deactivated)
  4. New Member Article: Evin Ellis (Unlicensed)
  5. AGIIS/Member Services: Chris CrutchfieldJosh Wall (Unlicensed)
  6. AgGateway in the News: Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)


Group Updates

Anyone can share an update of what is happening in other areas of AgGateway where they're working. Also, determine if Communications can provide assistance.

Susan asked Jessica if they need to set up a meeting/call for Precision Ag Communications. Jessica said they do need the PAC group again but wants to make sure she works with Susan to figure out good time frames, types of things they want to keep working on based on what they were doing before, get meetings set up. 

PAC was having a call every couple weeks: so-and-so is going to a precision ag meeting and needs a flyer about ADAPT or how to implement PAIL - how do we do it, what's the format, how do we write it, etc. They produce communication materials for the precision ag area (usually because someone was going to a meeting). Some of it came about from new groups that spun up such as soil testing and lab standardization. 

Jessica will get some info to Susan about this, including templates and such.

 New Business  

Other Discussion Items / Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)

  • For other committee members to address topics not covered above.

 Meeting Wrap Up  
Next Meeting 

  • Next Committee meeting: Thursday, March 5, 1:00 - 2:00 pm CT
  • Go over Social Media content so we know what to post/where to find info to post.

2:01pm Central

  • Active Action Items 

Date AssignedAction ItemDue DateComments/Status