2019-05-02 Communications Committee Meeting


All Members List
(present or not present)
Members Present
Non-Members Present

Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)

Nikki Marshall

Natasha Lilly

Evin Ellis (Unlicensed)

(*Voting companies/** alternates)

Time2:00 - 3:00 PM ET
Web (Screen Sharing)https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/914234637
Audio (VOIP/Phone)1 (872) 240-3212
Access Code914-234-637




Topic / Leader

Desired Outcome

Pre-Meeting Notes and Links to Supporting Resources

Meeting Minutes

03 min

Welcome & Roll Call / Susan Ruland

Attendees are listed above.

Susan Ruland (Unlicensed) is the acting chair. Anyone interested in becoming the chair or co-chair, please speak up or feel free to contact Susan anytime.


2 min


Everybody agrees to the Antitrust Guidelines.

AgGateway Antritrust Guidelines

All agree. 
21 min

Minutes Taker / 

31 min
Approval of Prior Meeting Minutes / Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)

Minutes from March: 2019-03-07 Communications Committee Meeting

Evin - motion; NIkki 2nd; Minutes are approved. 


Review Action Items  Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)

Action Items to be reviewed:

  • Susan Ruland (Unlicensed) Newsletter articles due 3/22.  
  • J. Nolfo to review social media analytics in April or May
  • J. Nolfo to look at LinkedIn Group long term feasibility
  • Susan: Quick blurb on social media in next newsletter

Review Action Items 

  • Completed
  • Not on call
  • Not on call
  • She will include it in the June issue


Committee Plan / Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)

Draft Goals for 2019

  • 2019 Specific
    • Help communicate AgGateway 2020 plans
  • Resource Related
    • Let members/industry know about resources – via newsletter, social media, etc.
    • Help solicit additional case studies
    • Develop graphic video depicting AgGateway value
  • Social Media
    • Cross share with other organizations
    • Pre-load and semi-live tweet at relevant trade shows
    • Push out info on AgGateway resources
    • Review Social media/Google analytics at least 1x/quarter
  • Newsletter
    • Leadership professional/Future state articles to get members aware of emerging technologies (block chain, traceability)
    • New member profile in each newsletter
    • Council updates every issue
    • Promote AgGateway resources
    • Promote case studies
  • Operational
    • Promote participation on committee, and on Social Media group
    • Leadership: Board is considering option of some committees being staff-led with optional volunteer leader.

Action: Review the goals again, and progress against them, at Mid-Year Meeting.

Marketing Plan / Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)
  • Updates regarding AgGateway Strategic Plan
  • Updates regarding quarterly focus and press releases 
  • Updates for the next few months
  • Press Releases
    • MYM Registration Open
    • Five New Case Studies - working with Farm Journal's AgPro 
  • Focus on 2020
    • Upcoming Leadership meeting
    • MYM - reviewing new plans with the membership
Social Media Calendar / J. Nolfo

Listing of who is responsible for what week until next Communication Committee Meeting

J Nolfo has filled out the calendar for the rest of the year. Communications Committee

Newsletter Planning - 

June Issue

Newsletter Articles - June Issue

Due 22 May


  1. AgGateway 2020: Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)
  2. New Member Article: Evin Ellis (Unlicensed)
  3. Mid-Year Meeting: Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)
  4. Ron Storms Award - call for nominations - Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)
  5. Harmonization project?
  6. Seed messages going to S&G
  7. AGIIS/Member Services: Chris CrutchfieldJosh Wall (Unlicensed)
  8. Council Updates: Nick Reichel (Deactivated)
  9. Leadership Profile: J. Nolfo
  10. AgGateway in the News: Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)

Action: Susan to track down information about the harmonization project, and any other June story ideas during Leadership meeting next week. 

Seed messaging - Getting to S&G Committee soon. (MYM - maybe 2 or 3 more messages hashed out) 

Newsletter planning - Future issues

Newsletter Articles - July Issue

Due June 19


  1. AgGateway 2020: Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)
  2. Annual Conference: Nikki Marshall
  3. Ron Storms - Call for Nominations
  4. Working Group updates (traceability, mix ticket, seed, soil, product catalog) 
  5. New Member Article: Evin Ellis (Unlicensed)
  6. AGIIS/Member Services: Chris CrutchfieldJosh Wall (Unlicensed)
  7. AgGateway in the News: Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)
  8. Leadership Profile: J. Nolfo
  9. Council Updates: Nick Reichel (Deactivated)l

Article Ideas: No additional ideas from the group. 


Council & Working Group Updates / J. Nolfo & Liaisons

Each liaison to provide an update of what is happening in their Councils or Committees and to determine if Communications can provide assistance


Committees and Working Groups

Seed - Natasha Lilly

  • messaging as noted above

Ag Retail - Natasha Lillyy

  • nothing new to report. 

Grain & Feed - Natasha Lilly

  • Natasha has not been in any of the meetings

Crop Nutrition - TBD

Specialty Chem - J. Nolfoo

Allied Providers Nate Taylor (Unlicensed)

Crop Protection 

  • No Update

Precision Ag Jessica Trites Rolle

  • Susan updated the committee on the PAC group's Implementation Notes template.  Natasha expressed interest for the seed messages. 

Conference Committee Nikki Marshall

  •  Annual Conference 2020 deciding between  San Antonio, Nashville, St. Petersburg

Membership Committee Nick Reichel (Deactivated)

  • Nikki reported: First new member orientation last week. They presented journey mapping for how a new member gets involved in AgGateway - went over well. 16 people on the call. 

 New Business  

Other Discussion Items / Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)

  • For other committee members to address topics not covered above.
  • Reminder: Newsletter items are due May 22nd. 

 Meeting Wrap Up  
Next Meeting 
  • Next Committee meeting scheduled at Mid-Year Meeting - Tuesday, June 11 @ 10:30-11:30 pm CT. 

Adjourned at 2:30 ET. 

  • Active Action Items 

Date AssignedAction ItemDue DateComments/Status
 Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)- Review the committee goals again, and progress against them, at Mid-Year Meeting. 
 All on Social Media Task Force to review calendar for their assigned weeks (thanks for filling out the calendar J. Nolfo 

J. Nolfo to review social media analytics - at Mid-Year Meeting?

 Susan Ruland (Unlicensed) to track down information about the harmonization project, and any other June story ideas during Leadership meeting next week.  
 Susan Ruland (Unlicensed) to share Implementation Notes template with the committee and the membership when it is completed.  
 J. Nolfo explore long-term feasibility of LinkedIn Group 
 Susan Ruland (Unlicensed) Newsletter articles due 3/22.