2019-02-07 Communications Committee Meeting


All Members List
(present or not present)
Members Present
Non-Members Present

(*Voting companies/** alternates)

Time2:00 - 3:00 PM ET
Web (Screen Sharing)https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/914234637
Audio (VOIP/Phone)1 (872) 240-3212
Access Code914-234-637




Topic / Leader

Desired Outcome

Pre-Meeting Notes and Links to Supporting Resources

Meeting Minutes

03 min

Welcome & Roll Call / Susan Ruland

Attendees are listed above.


2 min


Everybody agrees to the Antitrust Guidelines.

AgGateway Antritrust Guidelines

21 min

Minutes Taker / Natasha Lilly

31 min
Approval of Prior Meeting Minutes / Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)

Minutes from December: 2018-12-06 Communications Committee Meeting

Motion: J. Nolfo

Second: Nikki Marshall

All in Favor and motion passed.


Review Action Items  Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)

Action Items to be reviewed:

None this month

Susan Ruland (Unlicensed) is the acting Chair.  Anyone interested in becoming the Chair for the year.  Please speak up or feel free to contact Susan anytime.

No action items left from the December meeting.


Committee Plan / Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)

Draft Goals for 2019

  • 2019 Specific
    • Help communicate AgGateway 2020 plans
  • Resource Related
    • Let members/industry know about resources – via newsletter, social media, etc.
    • Help solicit additional case studies
    • Develop graphic video depicting AgGateway value
  • Social Media
    • Cross share with other organizations
    • Pre-load and semi-live tweet at relevant trade shows
    • Push out info on AgGateway resources
    • Review Social media/Google analytics at least 1x/quarter
  • Newsletter
    • Leadership professional/Future state articles to get members aware of emerging technologies (block chain, traceability)
    • New member profile in each newsletter
    • Council updates every issue
    • Promote AgGateway resources
    • Promote case studies
  • Operational
    • Promote participation on committee, and on Social Media group
    • Leadership: Board is considering option of some committees being staff-led with optional volunteer leader.

Susan Ruland (Unlicensed) is updating the group on future organizational changes for AgGateway as a whole.  There is  a lot of change coming and a lot of discussion around those changes.  

Is there any ideas on possible changes that may be needed within this Committee?  Do we need to change how we meet or the communication that we send out?

Susan Ruland (Unlicensed) reviewed the 2019 Goals that were set after the past 2 committee meetings.  

Board Consideration

Future state of the committees may change to a staff led committees instead of member led.  Because of this, Susan wants everyone to be aware that if you still are very interested in becoming Chair that it is still possible by that the position is not being pushed on during this state of animosity.

Marketing Plan / Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)
  • Updates regarding AgGateway Strategic Plan
  • Updates regarding quarterly focus and press releases 
  • Updates for the next few months

Status:  Plan is being drafted.  A lot of discussion is being had around the organization as a whole.  What and how do volunteers, staff, and efforts move?  There will be an upcoming webinar to discuss changes.  There will likely be a face to face meeting in April for the leadership to finalize plans.

Update on Case Studies:  CF Industries and Winfield United.  2 more waiting approval.  Central Farm Services has an ADAPT driven Case Study.  Nutrien is also waiting approval.  

Susan has a short list to go after a few more.  The plan is to make sure we get several more this year.  Susan plans to follow back with Farm Journal media and get these new case studies show cased in this year.

Press release will soon be added for the Case Studies.

Newsletter is preparing to go out in the next several days.  There were a few things that we were waiting on that had to do with AgGateway 2020.  Be looking out for this in the next few days. 

Website also has a new fresh look with new sliders.

Communication Kit - has been updated with the Case Studies.  Innovation Profiles have been added - this area highlights the Allied Providers and the capabilities that they offer.

Additional items -  Press release on ADAPT as they are being honored in the news again.

Social Media Calendar / J. Nolfo

Listing of who is responsible for what week until next Communication Committee Meeting

This area has not been kept up to date.  J. Nolfo is willing to finish up this week and he will plan on keeping track of the schedule and getting those reminders out to the Social Media volunteers.  

Would anyone else be interested on the Social Media group?  Please just contact Susan Ruland (Unlicensed) or J. Nolfo.  This is a great way to get someone within your organization involved in AgGateway.


Newsletter Planning - 


Newsletter Articles - March Issue

Due 22 February


  1. AgGateway 2020 - Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)
  2. New Member Article: Evin Ellis (Unlicensed)
  3. New Case Studies - Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)
  4. AGIIS/Member Services: Chris CrutchfieldJosh Wall (Unlicensed)
  5. AgGateway in the News: Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)
  6. Leadership Profile: Nick Reichel (Deactivated)
  7. Council Updates: J. Nolfo
  8. Monthly LinkedIn Group Discussion: J. Nolfo
  9. ADAPT AE 50 Award (Susan Ruland (Unlicensed))

Call for Action Would anyone be willing to help with the Editorial Duties for the Newsletter?  Newsletter Manager

AgGateway 2020 - Tim McArdle (Unlicensed) will highlight the future in this article.

Leadership Profile- J. Nolfo has taken care of this for the past 2 years.  Would anyone on the Committee be interested in taking on this article?  The task entails sending out a stock email to leaders and ask for the information.  Sending reminders to get those articles, and then getting this back to Susan.  

We need someone to reach out to council leadership for updates?

Nick Reichel (Deactivated) has volunteered.  Nikki Marshall has a spreadsheet and can send to Nick.  Thanks Nick!!

Ideas brought up from previous meetings:

  • Traceability Working Group updates
  • G-TIN product identifier user stories
  • "Ketchup" traceability story
  • Descriptions of councils and committees so people new to AgGateway can figure out where they want to participate.
  • Monthly article on an AgGateway resource (w link to website location)

Newsletter planning - Future issues

Newsletter Articles - April Issue

Due 22 March


  1. Traceability Working Group update - Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)
  2. New Member Article: Evin Ellis (Unlicensed)
  3. New Case Studies - Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)
  4. AGIIS/Member Services: Chris CrutchfieldJosh Wall (Unlicensed)
  5. AgGateway in the News: Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)
  6. Leadership Profile: J. Nolfo
  7. Council Updates: Nick Reichel (Deactivated)
  8. Monthly LinkedIn Group Discussion: J. Nolfo


Council & Working Group Updates / J. Nolfo & Liaisons

Each liaison to provide an update of what is happening in their Councils or Committees and to determine if Communications can provide assistance


Committees and Working Groups

Note: All liaisons to continue to talk with councils and committees about the upcoming meetings that are important to each group.

Seed - Natasha Lilly  - Exciting group was formed after Annual to start on New Seed Messages.  We will be meeting in MN later this month to hash out the new identified messages and start work around those.   This meeting is a F2F meeting and the group is open for anyone to attend.

Ag Retail - Natasha Lilly - Mix Ticket group and the Quick Connect All Product Lines both came out of discussion last year.  The slate is clean for this year.  We plan to continue to ask for Case Studies but we plan to have open discussion on what is next.  Quick Connect is still planned for either Mid-Year or Annual but we have not met as a group yet this year.  Natasha Lilly is leading this group.

Grain & Feed - Natasha Lilly - No update at this time.

Crop Nutrition - TBD

Specialty Chem - J. Nolfoo - Case studies have started.  We will have this as part of our focus for the year.  We believe that this will really help this business segment take off.  Next meeting is upcoming in a few weeks.  

Allied ProvidersNate Taylor (Unlicensed) A call is being setup soon as soon as the group agrees on the 2019 goals and objectives.  Innovation profiles are new on the website and something that this group will be up for discussion this well.

Crop Protection

Precision AgJessica Trites Rolle - Setup the task force meetings for this group.  Susan plans to attend the meeting tomorrow so we should be updatesd next meeting on this group.  They are currently wrapping up the SPADE initiatives. 

Conference CommitteeNikki Marshall - Met yesterday.  Getting things going for both Mid-Year and Annual.  We are looking for Sponsors already.  If you know of any sponsors please reach out to Marilyn Hunter (Unlicensed).

  • Mid-Year: Altoona, Iowa
  • Annual Meeting: New Orleans, LA

Membership CommitteeNick Reichel (Deactivated) - Working on Journey Mapping - to help with engagement with new members.  Nikki Marshall adds: that they had a swift call but there were some action items from the past meeting.

 New Business  

Other Discussion Items / Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)

  • For other committee members to address topics not covered above.
Reminder: Newsletter items are due March 22nd. 

 Meeting Wrap Up  
Next Meeting 
  • Next Committee meeting scheduled for March 7 @ 2:00-3:00 pm ET. 

  • Active Action Items As of  

Date AssignedAction ItemDue DateComments/Status
 Nick Reichel (Deactivated) Take over the Council Updates Work with Susan on these articles
 Nikki Marshall - Send Nick R. the spreadsheet of contact information for leadership & board members. Completed 2/7/2019
 J. Nolfo reach out to see if there is still interest or material on the LinkedIn article 
 Susan Ruland (Unlicensed) Newsletter articles due 2/22.   Reminder sent to contributors on 2/13