2019-03-07 Communications Committee Meeting


All Members List
(present or not present)
Members Present
Non-Members Present

(*Voting companies/** alternates)

Time2:00 - 3:00 PM ET
Web (Screen Sharing)https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/914234637
Audio (VOIP/Phone)1 (872) 240-3212
Access Code914-234-637




Topic / Leader

Desired Outcome

Pre-Meeting Notes and Links to Supporting Resources

Meeting Minutes

03 min

Welcome & Roll Call / Susan Ruland

Attendees are listed above.

Susan Ruland (Unlicensed) is the acting Chair. Anyone interested in becoming the Chair for the year.  Please speak up or feel free to contact Susan anytime.


2 min


Everybody agrees to the Antitrust Guidelines.

AgGateway Antritrust Guidelines

21 min

Minutes Taker / 

31 min
Approval of Prior Meeting Minutes / Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)

Minutes from February: 2019-02-07 Communications Committee Meeting

Motion Charlotte Schuricht moved to approve minutes. J. Nolfo 2nd.  MOtion Approved


Review Action Items  Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)

Action Items to be reviewed:

Review Action Items 

  • Completed
  • Completed
  • Not worked on. 
  • Completed


Committee Plan / Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)

Draft Goals for 2019

  • 2019 Specific
    • Help communicate AgGateway 2020 plans
  • Resource Related
    • Let members/industry know about resources – via newsletter, social media, etc.
    • Help solicit additional case studies
    • Develop graphic video depicting AgGateway value
  • Social Media
    • Cross share with other organizations
    • Pre-load and semi-live tweet at relevant trade shows
    • Push out info on AgGateway resources
    • Review Social media/Google analytics at least 1x/quarter
  • Newsletter
    • Leadership professional/Future state articles to get members aware of emerging technologies (block chain, traceability)
    • New member profile in each newsletter
    • Council updates every issue
    • Promote AgGateway resources
    • Promote case studies
  • Operational
    • Promote participation on committee, and on Social Media group
    • Leadership: Board is considering option of some committees being staff-led with optional volunteer leader.

Susan reviewed 2019 goals and related items items.

Marketing Plan / Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)
  • Updates regarding AgGateway Strategic Plan
  • Updates regarding quarterly focus and press releases 
  • Updates for the next few months
  • Press Releases
    • First PR of the year. AgGateway made it to top 3 of AE50 listing. Award given out at Commidity Classic.
    • PR on new slate of Case Studies (5)
  • Looking to work with AgPro on publishing new case studies (similar to last year).
  • Focus on 2020
    • Board Meeting next week
    • Several upcoming Leadership plans
  • SSI will be publishing in internal newsletter article on Case Study
Social Media Calendar / J. Nolfo

Listing of who is responsible for what week until next Communication Committee Meeting

  • Matt Garcia - March 4-8
  • Nick Reichel - March 11-15
  • Jessica Trites-Rolle - March 18-22
  • Charlotte Schuricht - March 25-29
  • AI: J. Nolfo to review social media analytics in April or May
  • Quick Blurb in next newsletter?

Newsletter Planning - 

April Issue

Newsletter Articles - April Issue

Due 22 March


  1. AgGateway 2020: Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)
  2. New Member Article: Evin Ellis (Unlicensed)
  3. Mid-Year Meeting: Nikki Marshall
  4. Product Catalogue: Jim Wilson (??)
  5. New ADAPT "training" videos: Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)
  6. AGIIS/Member Services: Chris CrutchfieldJosh Wall (Unlicensed)
  7. Council Updates: Nick Reichel (Deactivated)
  8. Leadership Profile: J. Nolfo
  9. Monthly LinkedIn Group Discussion: J. Nolfo
  10. AgGateway in the News: Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)

Call for Action Would anyone be willing to help with the Editorial Duties for the Newsletter?  Newsletter Manager

March newsletter being worked finalized

AI: J. Nolfo to look at LinkedIn Group long term feasibility

New Article Ideas:

  • Request for social media 
  • Soil Testing Standardization
  • Seed Meeting
  • Track and Tracibility

Newsletter planning - Future issues

Newsletter Articles - May Issue

Due April 19


  1. AgGateway 2020: Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)
  2. Mid-Year Meeting: Nikki Marshall
  3. Traceability Working Group update 
  4. New Member Article: Evin Ellis (Unlicensed)
  5. AGIIS/Member Services: Chris CrutchfieldJosh Wall (Unlicensed)
  6. AgGateway in the News: Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)
  7. Leadership Profile: J. Nolfo
  8. Council Updates: Nick Reichel (Deactivated)l

New Article Ideas:


Council & Working Group Updates / J. Nolfo & Liaisons

Each liaison to provide an update of what is happening in their Councils or Committees and to determine if Communications can provide assistance


Committees and Working Groups

Seed - Natasha Lilly

  • Seed meeting just held.  Article in March Newsletter.

Ag Retail - Natasha Lilly

  • No Update

Grain & Feed - Natasha Lilly

  •  No Update

Crop Nutrition - TBD

  • No Update

Specialty Chem - J. Nolfoo

  • Ongoing UOM discsussion
  • Flat file adoption 
  • Promotion of AgGateway in the specialty chem space
    • Need council to decide the priorities of the value flyers.

Allied Providers Nate Taylor (Unlicensed)

  • No Update

Crop Protection 

  • No Update

Precision Ag Jessica Trites Rolle

  • Reference Data API working in conjunction with AGIIS
  • Remote Sensing and PICS needing a leader to complete and get 
  • Traceability: looking at ways to pull apart GTIN an use for Retailers and Manufactures will support
  • SPADE wrap up. Plan made. But a lot of work needing to be done to be what is able to be published and what is not.

Conference Committee Nikki Marshall

  •  Working on education sessions 
    • AgGateway 101 before 1st Time Attendee session

Membership Committee Nick Reichel (Deactivated)


 New Business  

Other Discussion Items / Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)

  • For other committee members to address topics not covered above.
  • Reminder: Newsletter items are due March 22nd. 
  • Jessica Trites Rolle brought to the group a PAC-Communications discussion standard for publishing application notes or implementation guidelines
    • How presented?
      • Susan asked if  a new template be made (similar to past flyers, case studies, or innovation proflie)?
    • Particular spot to house infomation?
      • Does not need to be housed in multiple locations.  Find one spot on website or Wiki and keep that as the source of truth

 Meeting Wrap Up  
Next Meeting 
  • Next Committee meeting scheduled for April 4 @ 2:00-3:00 pm ET. 

  • Meeting ended at 2:55 PM ET.

  • Active Action Items 

Date AssignedAction ItemDue DateComments/Status

 J. Nolfo reach out to see if there is still interest or material on the LinkedIn article 
 Susan Ruland (Unlicensed) Newsletter articles due 3/22.