2018-06-12 Communications Committee Meeting (Mid-Year Meeting)


All Members List
(present or not present)
Members Present
Non-Members Present
  1. Thomas Kirste (Bosch)

(*Voting companies/** alternates)

Time3:30 - 5:20 PM CT
Web (Screen Sharing)In Person
Audio (VOIP/Phone)In Person
Access CodeIn Person




Topic / Leader

Desired Outcome

Pre-Meeting Notes and Links to Supporting Resources

Meeting Minutes

03 min

Welcome & Roll Call / J. Nolfo

Attendees are listed above.


2 min
Antitrust / J. Nolfo

Everybody agreeing to the Antitrust Guidelines.

AgGateway Antritrust Guidelines

All agree to the Antitrust Guidelines.
21 min

Minutes Taker / 

J. Nolfo will take notes.
31 min
Approval of Prior Meeting Minutes / J. Nolfo

Tabled to July Meeting


Review Action Items  J. Nolfo

Action Items to be reviewed:


Committee Plan / J. Nolfo

Establish Goals for the new year

  • Operations
    • Get a Vice-Chair
    • Fill all Council/Working Group/Committee Liaisons
    • Increase membership size of Communications Committee
    • Job Description and Expectations for positions within the Committee (Member, Article Writer, Social Media)
  • Social Media
    • Increase interaction with social media platforms, especially LinkedIn Group and Twitter
    • Pre-load and semi-live tweet at relevant trade shows
  • Newsletter: 
    • Leadership Profile in each newsletter
    • New Member Profile in each newsletter
    • Each Council have at least two significant update article
    • Each Committee have at least 1 significant update article
    • Get publication of AgGateway related articles within company internal newsletters
    • Publish Case Studies

  • New Vice-Chair: Matthew Grassi of Meister Media

Marketing Plan / Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)
  • Updates regarding AgGateway Strategic Plan
  • Updates regarding quarterly focus and press releases 
  • Updates for the next few months
  • Trade shows
  • “C-Suite Communications Kits” project

Susan discussed planning for 2019

  • “C-Suite Communications Kits” project
    • Case Study/flier/????
    • "By Council" was not working, so looking at a "By Topic/Target Audience" approach
    • Action Item: Get list of Topics from councils to frame kits around
    • Look at graphics to help tell story
  • Trade Shows
    • Need to better understand how we can help lead the conversation prior to trade shows
Social Media Calendar / J. Nolfo

Listing of who is responsible for what week until next Communication Committee Meeting

  • Need to start to schedule these out

J. showed data from Hootsuite for Twitter since June 2017.

  • Currently have 1,202 Followers.  
  • Most popular post click included Membership Committee LinkedIn Group post
  • Newsletter articles were also popular
  •  79% of clicks were from the US.
  • 658 clicks into the twitter post were direct links.  Only 7 were from Google

Newsletter Planning - July /  Matthew Grassi

AgGateway Newsletter Articles



  1. New Member Article: Evin Ellis (Unlicensed)
  2. AgGateway in the News: Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)
  3. Leadership Profile: J. Nolfo
  4. AIDC Working Group: Jody Costa (Unlicensed)
  5. AGIIS: Chris CrutchfieldJosh Wall (Unlicensed)
  6. Monthly LinkedIn Group Discussion: J. Nolfo
  7. Leadership Remarks from MYM - Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)
  8. Quick Connect Session - Natasha Lilly
  9. Mid Year Meeting Wrap Up - 

Discussed articles for July newsletter.

Action Item: J. Nolfo to email Matthew Grassi to send out reminder

Action Item: J. Nolfo to email Jody Costa (Unlicensed) on AIDC future articles

New Article Ideas:

  • Additional article ideas
    • Mix Ticket report
    • ADAPT Video
    • J Nolfo to write about Case Study on Spec Chem - write about the big wins. (likely August)
Newsletter Planning - August / Matthew Grassi

AgGateway Newsletter Articles



  1. New Member Article: Evin Ellis (Unlicensed)
  2. AgGateway in the News: Susan Ruland (Unlicensed)
  3. Leadership Profile: J. Nolfo
  4. AIDC Working Group: Jody Costa (Unlicensed)
  5. AGIIS: Chris CrutchfieldJosh Wall (Unlicensed)
  6. Council Updates: J. Nolfo
  7. Monthly LinkedIn Group Discussion: J. Nolfo
Discussed articles for August newsletter.


Council & Working Group Updates / J. Nolfo & Liaisons

Each liaison to provide an update of what is happening in their Councils or Committees and to determine if Communications can provide assistance


Committees and Working Groups

Note: All liaisons to continue to talk with councils and committees about the upcoming meetings that are important to each group.

Seed- Natasha Lilly - 

Ag Retail- Eileen Licitra (Unlicensed) 

  • Discussed future of AGIIS
  • Looked at development of 6 more case studies by end of 2018

Grain & Feed-Natasha Lilly - 

Crop Nutrition-

Specialty Chem-J. Nolfo -

Allied Providers - Eileen Licitra (Unlicensed)

  • Josh struggled on getting survey completed
  • Worked on "elevator speech" for AgGateway

Crop ProtectionEileen Licitra (Unlicensed) - 

Precision Ag

Conference CommitteeSusan Ruland (Unlicensed)

  • Will be wrapping up MYM discussion and look at 2019 MYM
  • 2019 Annual meeting planning starts now.  
    • Austin, TX 

Membership CommitteeNick Reichel (Deactivated)

  • Discussed Journey Mapping exercise for new members.
  • Complete Map was not complete, but spine was.  Will complete in a future call

 New Business  

Social Meeting Training / J. Nolfo
  • Schedule a date for training of those interested in joining the Social Media Working Group.
  • Tabled to be discussed at next meeting

Other Discussion Items / J. Nolfo

  • For other committee members to address topics not covered above.

 Meeting Wrap Up  
Next Meeting / J. Nolfo
  • Next Committee meeting scheduled for July 5th @ 2:00-3:00 pm ET/ 1:00-2:00 pm CT.
  • Action Item: J. Nolfo to look to schedule for week of July 9.
Adjournment / J. Nolfo

  • Meeting adjourned at approximately 5:15 pm CT

  • Active Action Items As of  

Date AssignedAction ItemDue DateComments/Status
  • J. Nolfo to revisit the idea of training on Social Media.

J may just reach out to Matt and Nick on a call.

  • J. Nolfo to reschedule July meeting to week of July 9
 Completed on 6/29.